Encouraging students to use critical thinking is more than an extension activity in science and math lessons, it is the basis of true learning.When it is difficult for psychology teachers to improve the higher order thinking skills of their students, they may call upon the services of an independent, online consulting provider. These firms specialize in helping educators create explanatory modeling activities that will help their students to develop and refine their scientific reasoning abilities. The actions will also improve the kids’ higher order thinking.
Psychology is all about critical thinking, evaluating situations, conducting mental experiments, and writing psychological research papers. If the students fail in any of these aspects, it can sometimes be because they were not fully prepared, or the teacher overlooked the students’ inability to think properly.
Higher order thinking activities can help a student with:
– Solving problems
– Thinking more creatively
– Being more critical
– Making better decisions
– Generating new and innovative ideas
– Analyzing information
– Planning for their future
To encourage creative and higher order thinking, teachers can apply exercises and activities in the following fields:
– Evaluation – Students will have to justify the decisions or course of action they took in a certain matter. They will need to explain, and be critical.
– Creativity – They will have to be able to generate, invent, and design new ideas and products. How did they plan? What triggered the idea?
– Analysis – Dividing the information into parts is vital in psychology to understand all aspects of a problem or relationship. After thorough investigation and interrogation, thoughts have to be compared and organized.
– Application – Solutions will have to be implemented, carried out or executed.
– Recollection – It is important to recall information, recognize similarities, and apply possible solutions. The more knowledge can be applied, the more aggressive the students will be in their higher order thinking abilities.
GLN Consulting was founded in 2003 by Dr. George L. Newsome, III to provide psychology teachers with a convenient and inexpensive source of advice and guidance on how to promote their students’ use of higher-order thinking skills. That year, the first interactive web site was constructed and service packages were developed. Since that time, the explanatory modeling tasks and recommended strategies contained in these service packages have been continually refined on the basis of client feedback and ongoing research by GLN Consulting.